How to Become a Notary in the State of Kansas

To help you become a Kansas notary in the state of Kansas, we have listed below the steps that will guide you through the application process.

To become a Kansas notary, a notary applicant must:

1. Be 18 years of age or older
2. Be a legal resident of the state of Kansas or a resident of a bordering state who is employed in or regularly conducts business in the state of Kansas
3. Have no felony convictions

If you meet the above qualifications, you can apply to become a Kansas notary by:

1. Purchasing a four-year, $7,500 Kansas notary bond
2. Purchasing a notary seal
3. Making an impression of your notary seal on the Notary Public Appointment Form
4. Signing the Oath of Office on the Notary Public Appointment Form (notary application) in the presence of an active notary public
5. Having the active notary public complete the Oath of Office, sign, and affix his or her notary seal on the Notary Public Appointment Form
6. Mailing the Notary Public Appointment Form with a $25.00 filing fee to the Kansas Secretary of State
7. Waiting for your Kansas certificate appointment, wallet card, and handbook by mail from the Kansas Secretary of State

How can I start the Kansas notary application process to become a Kansas notary?

To become a Kansas notary, please follow the instructions listed on the previous section on "How to become a Kansas notary". Click here for more information on how to become a Kansas notary, and read our Kansas law section. More information can found at the Kansas Secretary of State's website.

How do I renew my Kansas notary commission?

Renewing your Kansas notary commission requires you to take the same steps as applying for a Kansas notary commission for the first time.

When can I renew my Kansas notary commission?

You can only renew your Kansas notary commission two months before your commission expiration date.

How much does it cost to become a Kansas notary?

To become a Kansas notary, you must purchase a four-year, $7,500 Kansas notary bond. The cost of the notary bond is only $50.00. The notary bond can be purchased at the American Association of Notaries' website at Then you will need to pay a notarization fee to a notary public to have the oath of office section completed on the appointment form. A $25.00 filing fee must be included when submitting the application to the Secretary of State's Office. You also need a Kansas notary stamp (price varies based on the notary stamp you select). Please visit for notary stamps and other notary supplies.

How long does it take to become a Kansas notary public?

If your notary application is completed correctly it usually takes two to three business days for the Kansas Secretary of State to approve the application and mail you the Kansas certificate of appointment, wallet card, and handbook by mail.

How long does a Kansas notary commission last?

A Kansas notary term lasts four years. To verify when your term begins and ends, you'll have to take a look at the effective and expiration dates of the Kansas certificate of appointment you received from the Secretary of State when you became a notary. To continue performing notarial acts as a Kansas notary after your current expiration date, you'll have to renew your commission before your notary term expires. Please click here to renew your commission.

Where do I purchase the four-year, $7,500 Kansas notary bond?

The Kansas notary bond can be purchased online at The cost for the four-year, $7,500 notary bond is $50.00. Once you place your order on our website, we will email you the notary bond within one business day with instructions on how to complete the application process.

Why do I need a Kansas notary bond?

The State of Kansas requires all Kansas notary applicants to purchase a notary bond to protect the public from any errors and omissions the notary may commit.

Does the Kansas notary bond protect me if I get sued?

No. To protect yourself as an Kansas notary, you need to purchase a Kansas errors and omissions (E&O) policy that will help protect you in the event of any unintentional errors or omissions.

Do I need to purchase a Kansas notary errors and omissions (E&O) policy?

The Kansas notary errors and omissions (E&O) insurance policy is optional but highly recommended. It is very affordable and covers you even if a claim is invalid. We offer E&O policies at

Do I need to purchase a Kansas notary stamp? What notary supplies do I need?

When becoming a Kansas notary, in order to perform notarial acts in the state of Kansas, you need at a minimum a Kansas notary seal. A notary record book, sometimes called a journal, is recommended by the Secretary of State but not required. A Kansas notary seal must meet several requirements:

1. It needs to be a notary rubber stamp or a notary seal press.
2. Seal presses must be inked or blackened and rubber stamps must be in permanent ink to ensure a legible reproduction after copying.
3. The seal must include the notary's name as it appears on his or her application.
4. It must include the words "Notary Public" and "State of Kansas."
5. The seal must include a blank line to enter the notary's expiration date.

The Secretary of State also recommends including the words "My Appointment Expires" on the notary seal.

How do I order a Kansas notary stamp and record book?

Please go to to order your Kansas notary supplies. All our notary stamps and notary supplies come with a life-time replacement guarantee, are made in-house, and are shipped in one business day.

How can I train to become a Kansas notary?

The Kansas Secretary of State's website has a Notary Handbook available for download at

Click here to learn more about how to become a Kansas notary.


Legal disclaimer: The American Association of Notaries seeks to provide timely articles for notaries to assist them with information and ideas for managing their notary businesses, enhancing their notary educations, and securing their notary supplies but makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained . Information in this article is not intended as legal advice. We are not attorneys. We do not pretend to be attorneys. Though we will sometimes provide information regarding federal laws and statutes and the laws and statutes of each state, we have gathered the information from a variety of sources. We do not warrant the information gathered from those sources. It is your responsibility to know the appropriate laws governing your state. Notaries are advised to seek the advice of an attorney in their state if they have legal questions about how to notarize.

Notary bonds and errors and omissions insurance policies provided by this insurance agency, American Association of Notaries, Inc., are underwritten by Western Surety Company, Universal Surety of America, or Surety Bonding Company of America, which are subsidiaries of CNA Surety.